Gas safety

By law landlords must carry out an annual gas safety check and provide tenants with a copy of the record of that check. This section gives advice on how to ensure gas appliances in your home are safe.

What maintenanceneeds to be carried out on my gas appliances?

If you are a home owner it is recommended that all gas appliances, flues and pipework are serviced on an annual basis or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. More information is available from the gas safe register website.

Gas Safe Register (external website)

If you are a tenant there are legal requirements which your landlord must follow.

What duties does my landlord have forgas safety?

Landlords have specific duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, which requires them to:

  • ensure that gas fittings, pipework and flues are maintained in a safe condition
  • ensure that an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance or flue by a Gas Safe Registered engineer
  • keep a record of each safety check for at least two years
  • issue a copy of the latest safety check record to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.

Further information on gas safety for tenants can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website:

Health and Safety Executive - Gas safety - tenants (external website)

What can I do if my landlord will not provide me with a record of the safety check?

Remind your landlord of their legal duties to issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenant before they move in. You may wish to write to your landlord asking to see the safety check record.

If they still refuse to provide you with a copy, you can make a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive:

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

How do I report an issue with gas safety?

Before reporting an issue please read the following guide on how to rent a safe home and what to expect if you contact the council:

Information for Tenants and Landlords (pdf 1.4mb)

Report an issue with gas safety

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.