Getting Involved

Information on how you can get involved in influencing the housing services (related to council housing and/or council leaseholders) in the East Riding.

How can I influence housing services in the East Riding?

Housing influence is about giving you the opportunity to have a say and get involved in the housing services (in relation to council housing and leasehold properties) you receive in the East Riding, and to enable you to influence the housing policies and practices that affect you. We want you to get involved at a level you feel happy with, from just being on a mailing list to receive housing information to being on one of our resident panels.

Our Housing Influence Structure allows this to happen in the following ways:

Housing Influence Panel

The role of the Housing Influence Panel is to make a clear connection between the experiences of involved residents and the insight into resident experience obtained by the Council through other means. It is a key component that enables us to pick up and act upon what our residents are experiencing. It ensures that all residents can be of involved with us to help shape our services.

Housing Scrutiny Panel

We recognise the three key principles of resident scrutiny - independence, formality and resident involvement. The role of the Housing Scrutiny Panel is to scrutinise areas of our housing service and provide independent reports on them, this will contribute to improved business performance, quality, and overall standard of housing services.

Working arrangements will be set out in its terms of reference and will be reviewed on an annual basis by both the panel and the council to ensure they remain fit for purpose.

Housing Review Panel

The role of such ad-hoc review panels will be to review our housing services, documents and policies. Copies of amended documents will be forwarded to the Housing Influence Panel and Housing Services Management team.

Tenant Inspectors

Tenant Inspectors work in conjunction with our Housing Maintenance Team and undertake void inspections across the county.  Each maintenance area has a tenant who coordinates the inspections and liaises with the area office. Training is provided and some Inspectors also undertake New Tenancy Visits. Volunteer inspectors can choose to do void inspections, new tenancy visits or both.

Tenant Representatives

Tenant representatives are individual tenants who want to get more involved with housing-related issues. They represent a number of tenants (either within a village or street(s) on an estate) usually it hasn’t been possible to set up a group. To become a Tenant Representative you need to complete a Tenant Representative Application Form, then visit other tenants within your area. Explain to them that you want to become the representative for the area and obtain their signature (10 signatures or 50 per cent of the area that you wish to represent, whichever is the greater). 

This then gives you permission to represent that particular village or street. The Housing Influence Team can assist with this procedure. You may also qualify for a grant towards a computer.

Informal Residents Groups

Informal residents groups consist of a number of residents coming together on a regular basis. They meet with officers of the council, perhaps to discuss a particular issue or give an opinion on something that is affecting them where they live. The meetings are generally facilitated by the Housing Influence Team.

The group is usually happy to stay as they are and don’t want the additional commitment of forming a tenants or residents association (setting up a committee, agreeing a constitution and to be accountable to those they represent). If you are interested in setting up a group please contact the Housing Influence Team for assistance.

Tenant/Residents Associations

Resident/Tenant Associations are formal bodies that are independent from the council and operate through their own Residents/Tenants Association Constitution which sets out their agreed rules and regulations. There are over 40 residents associations across the East Riding, and if there isn’t a group in your area and you are interested in setting one up or getting more involved then please contact the Housing Influence Team.  

Grants are available to formal Residents/Tenants Associations to help pay for meeting room hire, stationery and so forth. They are based on the number of council properties the Association represents in their area. Grants for computers are also available to formerly constituted Resident/Tenants Associations.

If you would like to find out more about getting involved please contact the Housing Influence Team by emailing housinginfluence@eastriding.gov.uk or telephone (01482) 396301.  

Is there a Residents/Council Tenants Association in my area?

There are Residents/Tenants Associations on many of our estates, and in many of our towns and villages. The following list shows our current groups:

Residents Groups in the East Riding (pdf 415kb)

If you would like more information about joining a group or to find out when they are next meeting please email your Area Housing Officer via housingservices@eastriding.gov.uk or the Housing Influence Team at housinginfluence@eastriding.gov.uk or telephone (01482) 396301.

How do the different housing influence panels and groups fit into the structure of the council? 

Our Strategy and Delivery Plan shows how our engagement measures ensure our residents are able to contribute and influence the housing services they receive.

Resident Involvement Strategy and Delivery Plan (pdf 436kb)

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.