National bus pass

Find out if you qualify for a national bus pass, how to apply or cancel a bus pass, where you can use your pass and how to get a replacement.

What is a national bus pass?

If you are of pensionable age or have a disability, you could be eligible for free bus travel. The national bus pass entitles you to use bus services free of charge.  

Am I entitled to a national bus pass?

The bus pass is available to residents of East Riding of Yorkshire who are the following:

  • People of pensionable age. Applications for bus passes can be made from one calendar month before your 66th birthday. Please note: if you make an early application we will post your pass to you during the week before your birthday.
  • Seriously injured service personnel and veterans who have been awarded a lump sum payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • A person having a learning disability
  • Blind or partially-sighted
  • Profoundly or severely deaf
  • A person who is medically unfit to drive on grounds other than those of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol for a minimum of 12 months
  • A person unable to communicate orally in any language
  • A person who has a disability or has suffered an injury which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk.

The preferred method is online application, alternatively you can apply for your national bus pass at any  customer service or multi service centre,  library or mobile library.

Do I need supporting evidence when I apply for or renew my pass?

Yes, you will need to supply evidence when applying for a national bus pass.

If you are renewing a pass and your address has changed you'll need to provide proof of your new address.

Proof of age (if you are of pensionable age):

  • Birth certificate
  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Pension card.

 Proof of address:

  • Council tax bill dated within the last 12 months 
  • Bank statement dated within the last 3 months
  • Utility bill dated in the last 3 months 
  • Award letter from the Service Personnel and Veteran Agency dated within the last 12 months 
  • Benefit award letter from the Department of Work and pensions dated within the last 12 months 
  • Confirmation letter from social services or another local authority service that confirms that the applicant is a resident 
  • Local Housing Allowance or other benefit award letter dated within the last 12 months 
  • Pensions letter from the Pension Service dated within the last 12 months.

Supporting evidence of war veterans:

  • War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • Proof of Compensation Scheme lump sum.

Supporting evidence of learning disability:

  • Proof of being registered on local authority social services register as severely learning disabled 
  • A letter from a specialist doctor, independent health professional, or registered medical practitioner
  • A statement of SEN or a letter.

Supporting evidence of sight disability:

  • Proof of being registered as sight impaired on the local authority social services register 
  • Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) signed by a consultant ophthalmologist with severed sight impaired (blind) ticked 
  • Written confirmation from an optometrist that an applicant would qualify to be registered as severely sight impaired (blind).

Supporting evidence of hearing disability:

  • Proof of being registered on the local authority social services register as profoundly or severely deaf 
  • Audiological report from an aural specialist indicating hearing loss has reached 70-95 dBHL (severely deaf) or 95+dBHL (profoundly deaf)
  • Written confirmation from an aural specialist that an applicant would qualify to be registered as profoundly or severely deaf.

Supporting evidence for medically unfit to drive:

  • Recent letter from the DVLA with details of licence withdrawal
  • Questionnaire completed by your GP or specialist or optometrist.

Medically unfit to drive doctors form (pdf 74.5kb opens in new window)

Supporting evidence for ‘without speech’:

Proof of being registered without speech on the local authority social services register

Supporting evidence of severe walking difficulties:

  • Proof of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), scoring a minimum of 8 points on ‘moving around’
  • Proof of DLA, awarded at the higher rate for mobility 
  • Proof of current Disabled Car Badge
  • Registered on the local authority social services register as having severe walking difficulties (having a registration is not a guarantee of entitlement).

Photo requirements:

We need a recent photo of you for your travel pass. This should show your head and shoulders and have a plain, light-coloured background. You must be facing forward and looking straight into the camera. It should be:

  • maximum size: 20MB
  • file options allowed: JPG.

Please refer to the Bus Pass Photograph Guide for more information about acceptable photographs for your bus pass:

Bus Pass Photograph Guide (pdf 108kb)

We can link your national bus pass to your library account so you can use it instead of your library card. If you would like to do this, you will need your library card number when filling the online form. 

Please note: if you cannot provide the evidence requested, you may submit alternative evidence which we may or may not consider. 

Applying at a customer service centre?

If you are applying at a  customer service centre , the staff may have the facilities to take a photograph of you but you should check before you go.

Where and when can I use my pass?

You can use your national bus pass on all local bus services in England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at all times on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

You can use your pass on local bus services in London, however, passes are not accepted on buses in Scotland or Wales.

If you are travelling outside the East Riding you are subject to the conditions of the council where your journey starts. Some may allow travel before 9.30am and travel on trains and trams, but you would need to check with them before making your journey.

How do I renew my bus pass?

Your pass is not renewed automatically. When your bus pass is due to expire, it is your responsibility to renew it.

Please note: if your address has changed you'll need to provide proof of your new address.

How do I replace my pass?

You may request a replacement travel pass because:

  • you would like a new photo on your pass
  • your pass has been stolen or lost
  • your pass is damaged or faulty 
Please note: if your address has changed you'll need to provide proof of your new address.

The preferred method is online application, alternatively you can visit a customer service or multi service centre, or library or mobile library or call (01482) 393939 8:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 4:30pm Friday.

How do I cancel my pass?

You need to tell us if:

  • you have moved out of the area
  • your medical condition has improved
  • a travel pass holder is deceased

Cancel a national bus pass

What is the companion entitlement?

If you are unable to use buses without assistance, you can apply to have a companion travel with you for free on the bus. This will be a “plus C” logo added to the top right hand corner of your disabled person’s national bus pass.

Having a companion travel free with you is a local facility, valid for cross boundary journeys with neighbouring authorities, where the journey starts or finishes within East Riding or Hull. It is not valid for travel throughout England. You can use your bus pass throughout England, but your companion may be asked to pay the appropriate bus fare when travelling further than the following places:

  • Doncaster
  • Malton
  • Hull
  • Pontefract
  • Scarborough
  • Selby
  • York.

The pass is not available to children under 11 years of age because at this age a child would normally be accompanied by an adult on the bus. 

How do I add the companion entitlement to my bus pass?

Supporting evidence for the companion element could be:

  • A letter from your GP or specialist outlining that you are not capable of travelling independently
  • Proof of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), scoring a minimum of 8 points on ‘planning and following a journey’. For more information about PIP, visit the personal independence payment page (PIP) on the GOV.UK website.

Add companion element to a national bus pass

The preferred method is online application, alternatively you can apply for your national bus pass at any customer service centre or library. Mobile Libraries will continue to carry the paper applications for those in rural areas without adequate internet access. 

If you need more help adding the companion entitlement to your bus pass, call (01482) 393939 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Thursday, 8:00am to 4:30pm Friday.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.