You can apply for a petroleum storage certificate by one of the following means:
Apply online for a petroleum storage certificate
Complete and return the application form below:
Petroleum storage certificate application (pdf 724kb)
Please note: to return an application form contact the Licensing team
In writing or email to the Licensing team for a copy of the form:
Please note: the application must be submitted together with the appropriate fee.
In writing to:
Housing, Transport and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Do I need to provide information or evidence with the application?
For new applications please provide:
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the layout of the premises
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises including storage tanks and pipework
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the drainage system for petrol at the dispensing premises
- payment of the appropriate fee.
You are advised to contact the Licensing team and speak to us as early as possible for further guidance.
How much will it cost?
The fee payable for a certificate or the renewal of a certificate depends on the quantity of petroleum being stored and the annual period applied for.
The current fees (per year) are:
Licence to keep in a work place (each year of certificate)
- storage not exceeding 2,500 litres: £45.00
- storage exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres: £61.00
- storage exceeding 50,000 litres: £128.00
- the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00
- land search response on historic sites: £100 plus VAT.
Licence to keep petrol in a non-workplace (each year of certificate)
- not exceeding 2500 litres: £45
- exceeding 2500 but not exceeding 5000 litres: £61
- exceeding 5000 litres: £128
- the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00.
Storage certificates may be granted on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 10 years.
Fees are not refundable neither can refunds be given where:
- trading ceases, or
- transfers to another take place part way through any certification period.
Please bear this in mind especially when applying for longer periods of certification.