Are you interested in helping to improve the Local Offer website? Contact us: Email  (01482) 396469

University Information

If you (as a young person) have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and you are planning on going into higher education (university), it is the responsibility of your local authority to pass on your EHC plan to the university / institution which you will be going to.

As a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including:

  • a long-term health condition
  • a mental health condition
  • a specific learning difficulty, e.g. dyslexia

You must meet the definition of 'disability' under the Equality Act 2010. You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

As part of the process to make a claim for DSA, the assessor may request to see a copy of your ECH plan. It is the responsibility of your local authority to pass on this information, providing the local authority has your permission to do so.

You can read more about what Disabled Students’ Allowances can pay for, eligibility and more on the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) page 

Page last updated: Friday, 04 March 2016