Special Educational Needs (SEN) Team 

The SEN team is responsible for the processes regarding any Education, Health and Care needs assessments, the issuing of Education, Health and Care Plans, Transfers of Statements of Special Educational Needs to Education, Health and Care Plans.  If there is already a Statement of Special Educational Needs or a Educational, Health and Care Plan in place it is the Special Educational Needs Team that deals with the various processes for example school placements etc.

The staff within the SEN team who work directly with families have all been trained in person centred approaches and the Special Educational Needs statutory processes.

A diagnosis is not necessary to access this service but an identified special educational needs and/or disability. However it would usually only be those children and young people 0-25 with severe, complex and long term needs and their parents carers that would need to access this service. Education providers will also contact the service regarding meeting a child's/young person special educational needs when they have an Education, Health and Care plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs or when requesting an Education, Health and Care Needs assessment for a child/young person.

Parent carers can refer their child or young person for an Education, Health and Care Needs assessment but usually it is the educational setting that would make the request.  You can read more about Education, Health and Care Needs Assessments on the Education, Health and Care Plan page.

Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm. Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

You can contact the Special Educational Needs Service on:

Phone:  (01482) 392163

Email: send.enquiries@eastriding.gov.uk


SEN Team
County Hall
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA

You may also find it useful to speak to:

These can be submitted directly to the Special Educational Needs Service (see details above) or by contacting Customer Relations on:

Telephone: (01482) 396422

Email: customer.relations@eastriding.gov.uk or by post to:

Customer Relations Team,
East Riding of Yorkshire Council,
County Hall,
HU17 9BA

Where do I go for more information/support: