Personal Travel Budgets (PTB)

Personal Travel Budgets (PTB)

Personal Travel Budgets may be used as an alternative approach to transport for those eligible for home to school or college transport.  Please find information and criteria below for recipients, parents and carers.

The Personal Travel Budget (PTB) is a cash payment to a parent, carer or student instead of organised transport provided by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. A Personal Travel Budget is available to parents of children and young people or students with special travel needs who have been assessed as eligible to receive home to school or college transport from the Council. If transport has been included in your child’s Education Health & Care plan, a PTB is one of the options to be considered.


Having a Personal Travel Budget allows families to arrange home to school or college travel arrangements in a way that suits them. A PTB allows families to make flexible arrangements and, if they choose, to work with other families who are receiving a Personal Travel Budget.


A Personal Travel Budget is part of the Council’s Home to School Transport Policy. Further Home to School transport details are available on the Council’s website:

School/college Transport Information including Home to School Transport Policy - East Riding of Yorkshire Council Website (external Website)

The policy is located at the bottom of the page.

The Personal Travel Budget is granted at the discretion of the council for children eligible to receive home to school or college travel assistance because of special travel needs. It may not always be possible to offer a Personal Travel Budget, particularly if it would have an adverse impact on a service provided for other transport users, or where it is not an efficient use of the Council’s resources. Under these circumstances the Council will arrange alternative home to school or college travel arrangements taking into account the child/young person’s needs. If your child is going through the Education, health and Care Planning process, transport provision should form part of the discussions between the parent/carer and the Education, Health and Care Commissioning Officer.

Transport requirements form part of the Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan process. If a Personal Travel Budget is agreed for your child, their individual circumstances will be taken into consideration and you will be awarded an amount based on the criteria below:

 PTB Description Mileage 
 Standard Standard PTBs will be offered to children who are eligible for free home-to-school transport but do not require any specialist equipment or additional support from a passenger assistant. £0.45 per mile + £10 per day
Enhanced Enhanced PTBs will be offered to children who require additional specialist support on journeys. This may include a one-to-one passenger assistant or specialist equipment in order to travel safely £0.75 per mile + £10 per   day
Specialist Specialist PTB’s are specifically for those pupils who have high care needs and as a result require a medical PA or specialist equipment and adaptations to the vehicle in order to travel safely £1.25 per mile + £10- per day

Please note:
the amount you will receive is worked out by measuring the distance of the shortest available route using the public road network from the point of the child’s normal place of residence (usually the family home), to the nearest approved entry point to the school or college site. The distance will be measured on a computerised GIS system using Ordnance Survey information.

The amount you receive will be calculated as outlined in the question above.  A total of four journeys a day are payable (i.e. to school or college and back home twice a day during term time). This daily rate will then be paid, based on the number of school or college days in your child’s timetable.

Payment of a Personal Travel Budget will be made in advance at the start of each half term and is based on the number of days in your child’s school or college timetable for that period. You do not need to open a separate bank account to be used solely for receiving cash payments*. However if your child already has an account for direct payments you can use that.

(*N.B. If your child or the young person you care for moves across to Adult Services, you will need a separate bank account at this point).

If your child is in post 16 education, then yes you are required to pay the £540 contribution as per the Home to School Transport Policy.  This contribution will be deducted from your Personal Travel Budget payment over the academic year.

However, for students who are members of a low income family or who are living independently and who meet relevant income criteria, the contribution payment for the academic year is reduced by 50% to £270. A low income family or a student on a low income is in receipt of any of the following:

-    Income Support

-    Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

-    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

-    support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

-    the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit

-    Child Tax Credit (provided the person is not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and has an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)

-    Universal Credit

The student or the student’s parents and other members of the household may be asked to provide evidence of their entitlement to or receipt of the above support.

If you believe you qualify for the low income family 50% reduction, please contact Transportation Services:

Email: transport.requests@eastriding.gov.uk

Telephone: (01482) 395444 (option 1)

Those who are offered a Personal Travel Budget will be asked to sign an agreement. This sets out the role of the recipient or parent/carer and the Council in the Personal Travel Budget process and will contain a form for completion with details of your designated bank account.

The Council transfers the Personal Travel Budget prior to commencement into your designated bank account. You can then arrange and manage your child’s travel arrangements in a way that best suits you.

As long as your child gets to and from school or college comfortably and safely in a way that guarantees their timely attendance in line with the school or college's academic calendar, you can spend the Personal Travel Budget in any way you wish. Previous recipients have spent their Personal Travel Budget in the following ways:

  • You or someone in your family driving your child to and from school or college
  • Arranging for a friend or relative to walk your child to and from school or college
  • Arranging for a private taxi firm to drive your child to and from school or college
  • Purchase a travel pass for an adult to accompany your child on public transport to and from school or college
  • Purchase travel passes for your other children so they can get home whilst you’re collecting your child who has a Personal Travel Budget

There are many other ways you can spend your Personal Travel Budget. Its purpose is to achieve flexibility for you and your child.

As part of your Personal Travel Budget agreement, if you move house or your child changes school or college you must inform the council’s Transportation Services department:

Email: transport.requests@eastriding.gov.uk or Telephone: (01482) 395444 (option 1)

An assessment of the most effective method of your child getting to school or college will then be undertaken.

The Council is keen to encourage children to travel as independently as possible, so, for example, if your child undertakes Independent Travel Training and is able to travel to school or college more independently, we will work with you to move away from a Personal Travel Budget to supporting your child to travel to school or college more independently.

Children become poorly from time to time, and any short periods of absence due to your child being unwell do not need to be reported to Transportation Services. However, if your child will be absent from school for a prolonged period of time please speak to Transportation Services to discuss this further.

Email: transport.requests@eastriding.gov.uk or Telephone: (01482) 395444 (option 1)

You do not have to have a Personal Travel Budget, but in taking one you accept that unless your circumstances change significantly it is expected that you will continue with it for the full academic year. If your circumstances do change significantly and you are no longer able to continue with your Personal Travel Budget, you will need to notify the Transportation Services:

Email: transport.requests@eastriding.gov.uk or Telephone: (01482) 395444 (option 1)

The Council will endeavour to make alternative travel arrangements as quickly as possible, but this can take up to four weeks.  In the interim period it will remain your responsibility to continue with your Personal Travel Budget, to ensure your child attends school or college.

Personal Travel Budgets are not a benefit.  Any income from a Personal Travel Budget is neither taxable nor will it affect any benefit claim for parents or carers participating in the scheme.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient of the Personal Travel Budget to check with any relevant services that this is the case for their own personal circumstances.

The Council wishes to encourage you to control the Personal Travel Budget in a way that works best for you, so will keep monitoring to a minimum.  Monitoring will take place through discussions with the school or college about your child’s attendance or any other issues affected by home to school or college travel. At the end of each term you will be sent a short electronic feedback questionnaire which will ask you a few questions relating to the management of your Personal Travel Budget.  This feedback will be used to improve the service and not for any other purpose.

There are situations when the normal travel arrangements that are in place cannot be used. For example, if you normally transport your child in your own car and you are ill, or the car breaks down. You will need to have alternative plans in place to get your child to school or college in these situations.

The Council is unable to provide alternative transport in these circumstances and if your child is absent due to you not being able to get your child to school, the Personal Travel Budget may be reduced or withdrawn. The recipient or parent/carer will be required to sign as part of the agreement that contingency plans are in place.

As part of a young person’s transition to adulthood, it is hoped that as many young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities as possible will have started to travel independently by the time they reach college age.

The Council may be able to help with specialist Independent Travel Training *.However, many young people will still need special provision or support for their travel as a result of their needs. Before applying, and to find out who is entitled to transport in further education, please see the information on the Post -16 Transport page on East Riding's Local Offer website. The Post-16 Transport page provides comprehensive information regarding travel assistance which may be available from the Council to students aged 16-18 and students aged 19+.

*criteria applies - please visit the Transition to Adulthood page:

Transition to Adulthood  - East Riding of Yorkshire Website ( external website )

If you would like more information please contact the Transportation Services Team on:

Tel: (01482) 395444 ( option 1)