Are you interested in helping to improve the Local Offer website? Contact us: Email  (01482) 396469

Education Local Offers

Educational Psychology
Educational Psychologists (EPs) are part of the Education Inclusion Service and work with parents, schools, early years, alternative learning settings and other agencies. We work mainly in schools, helping staff to find solutions to improve the learning outcomes and social and emotional development of children and young people. Educational Psychologists have qualifications in psychology and experience working with children and young people. They understand how children and young people learn, the things that can make learning difficult and how psychological models and approaches can be used to help children and young people make progress.

What we do:
Educational Psychologists are most effective when working with the adults involved with a child or young person. In addition to this, we sometimes to carry out observations, meet with the child or young person to talk with them and complete assessments to find out how they learn and how they feel as a learner. We aim to support parents, carers and staff working with children and young people to understanding more clearly their needs in order to plan the best way to help them make progress.

Educational Psychologists always work collaboratively with school staff, parents/carers and the pupil, and a record of all work carried out with the pupil is recorded and feedback is given at the review meeting.

0 to 25 for young people with Special Educational Needs who are accessing education
Location and access
The Educational Psychology Team is based at County Hall, Beverley. The day to day support is provided within school settings.
Access to this service
Where an education setting has identified that a child or young person has additional needs, they are expected take steps to put in place strategies and interventions to try to address those needs as part of the Assess, Plan, Do and Review graduated response to their needs. Many children and young people with additional needs do not require the involvement of an Educational Psychologist. However, in consultation with parents, where additional advice and support from a specialist Educational Psychologist is required, children and young people may access our service following an initial discussion between the Educational Psychologist and the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in the child or young person’s educational setting.  If appropriate, the  parent or carer would then be asked to sign a Request for Involvement form which would be sent to the Educational Psychologist.

With preschool children attending a private, voluntary or independent setting, the process of support from an Educational Psychologist is through discussion with the Early Support Team. If it is agreed that an Educational Psychologist can help, then the Request for Involvement form is completed.

Request for Involvement form:

Education Inclusion Service Request for Involvement By Educational Psychologist ( word 69kb, opens in new window) 

Who this service is for
We provide consultation and advice to educational settings and schools in East Riding. We work to support children and young people with a range of additional and complex needs. There is no need for a child or young person to have a medical diagnosis to access our service.
How we communicate with children, young people with SEND and their families
Communication is facilitated through the educational setting.
Parent and sibling involvement
Parents/carers are part of initial consultation meetings and review meetings and may want to be present if any individual work is carried out with their child. We aim to ensure that parents/carers are an integral part of our involvement with their child.
Registered service and regulatory body
All Educational Psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
Training acquired to support children and young people with SEND and their families
All Educational Psychologists have a degree in Psychology and a post graduate degree (now at Doctorate level) in Educational Psychology. They undertake continued professional development related to supporting children and young people with a range of needs.
Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 8.30am - 5pm 
Friday: 8.30am - 4.30pm 
Saturday and Sunday: Closed (answer machine available)
Cost of service and payment options
No cost
Contact information
Educational Psychology Team
Education Inclusion Service
Room AF35, County Hall
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA
Tel: (01482) 392254
Contacts for comments, compliments and complaints
We ask that comments, compliments and complaints are passed on to the relevant Educational Psychologist in the first instance or discussed with the relevant Area Senior Educational Psychologist:

Dr Catherine Kitchen - Area Senior Educational Psychologist (West)
Dr Helen Higgins - Area Senior Educational Psychologist (North)
Helen Mitton or Bronwen Ozanne - Area Senior Educational Psychologists (East)

Or, alternatively:
Dr Elizabeth A Holmes, Interim Principal Educational Psychologist
There is no map available for this service
Page last updated: Monday, 18 August 2014